The Keys To Raising A Resilient Child
By on 24 Jul 2018
Categories: General Parenting
Life constantly throws challenges and hurdles in our path. Most adults have ways of dealing with tough situations. Sometimes our coping strategies are healthy, other times they are not, but chances are we learnt a lot about how to overcome adversity from our childhood .
To give our children the best chance, we need to teach them they can handle adversity. A situation might be hard, unpleasant and even sometimes traumatic, however some things cannot be avoided and quitting may not be an option. Helping your child to build resilience, problem solve and deal with responsibility are important lessons in helping them face and overcome adversity.
To parents some issues facing our children may seem trivial. But even if something seems like a non-issue to us that does not mean it isn’t a big deal for the child facing it.
Whether it is a hard homework assignment, mastering a physical skill, dealing with a personal conflict or some bigger issue, here are some ways you can help your child learn to deal with tough situations:
- Validate their feelings – Let them know it’s ok to feel scared, frustrated, overwhelmed or whatever they are feeling. Owning and mastering those feelings is big part of the process.
- Teach them perspective – While keeping the above point in mind, help your child see the challenge for what it is. Sometimes it might not be as big an issue as they have made it in their mind.
- Encourage them to break the problem into manageable chunks – Looking at a problem as a whole can be overwhelming. Organisation tools such as lists or charts can be a valuable way to help your child visualise the problem and the tasks involved.
- Teach them persistence – When something is hard quitting often seems like the easiest option. Talk to them about the consequences of giving up and the rewards if they keep going. Provide encouragement and support.
- Push them to try new things – A child who is regularly challenged and used to being pushed past their comfort zone will be more prepared to face unfamiliar or difficult situations.
- Teach them its ok to fail – A fear of failure is often what holds us back from taking on difficult things. We can’t be successful at everything all the time, and dealing with disappointment is an important lesson.
Above all, be a good role model for your child. They will see how you deal with life’s challenges and there is a very high chance your strategies will become their strategies too.
They Say It Takes A Village To Raise A Child … HERE IT IS!
Here at ParentTV we have a specialist team including psychologists, dietitians, paediatricians, family counsellors, sleep experts and experienced specialists. Here’s just a few of them!
Dr Justin Coulson | Maggie Dent | Pinky McKay | Dr Kaylene Henderson | Dr Kristy Goodwin | Allison Davies | Dr Vanessa Lapointe | Dr Megan Yap | Teacher Tom
Navigating the world of child-rearing can be a pretty tricky task. As lovable as they are, every age your kids enter throws up new challenges for you as a parent.
Every year brings new technology, trends and transitions for your children, and every day involves new feelings and fears. As a parent, you want to help them through it all in the best way possible.
But, you can’t do it on your own.
With ParentTV, you don’t have to. ParentTV is your expert parenting support network, here to answer all your questions and share our trusted advice and experience. And, we’re only a few clicks away.
Join up now for our limited time introductory offer of just $29/year (normally $120).
You will also get access to Dr Justin Coulson 9 Ways To A Resilient Child Course which is normally $250 for FREE with your ParentTV membership.
You can cancel your membership anytime but if you do get in now you will lock in $29 / year for the duration of your membership. We have just started working with the Sydney Anxiety Clinic who specialises in kids and anxiety and will be launching an online course with them on ParentTV soon. For now you are able to access over 300 videos on the platform with the click of a button.
All of our videos are around 2-5 minutes giving you the information you need exactly when you need it in the most efficient way possible.