Sweet and Sour Quinoa Balls
Sweet and sour quinoa balls are perfect for a lunch box, finger food or as part of a main meal. Great for kids and for baby-led weaning (blw)
Prep Time 10 minutes
Cook Time 40 minutes
Total Time 50 minutes
- 1 tbsp oil
- 1 red onion finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves finely chopped
- 1 tsp finely chopped ginger
- 2 tbsp white wine vinegar
- 1 tbsp low sodium soy sauce* (optional)
- 1 tbsp tomato paste
- 1/2 cup pineapple juice
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/2 cup quinoa (rinsed)
- 100 g (approx. 2 rings) pineapple chopped into small pieces **
- 1 beaten egg
- Pre heat oven to 180c/ 350f / Gas 4.
- Heat oil in pan over medium / high heat. Reduce heat and gently fry the onion until softened (approx. 5 mins). Add the garlic and ginger and fry for a further min. To the onions and garlic, add the vinegar, soy sauce, tomato paste, pineapple juice, water and quinoa then stir.
- Bring to the boil, reduce the heat to low, cover and allow to simmer for 15 mins.
- Turn the heat off and leave the quinoa to sit covered for a further 5 mins.
- Stir in the chopped pineapple.
- Allow to cool and then stir in the beaten egg.
- Form approx.13 heaped tablespoon sized balls and place on a silicon mat / lined baking tray.
- Cook in the oven for 20 mins or until golden.
* If making for baby then you can leave out the soy sauce to reduce sodium level
** If making for a baby / young toddler then make sure to chop the pineapple finely to avoid choking.